Monday 12 August 2013

About Myself

        Although I am a full-Korean, I spent about half of my lifetime in a remote island called Saipan. I moved to Saipan at the age of 8 and have never left Saipan since then. Because Saipan is limited, I did not have much thing to do. But I actually developed few hobbies in the past few years. Baking is one of my favorite hobbies. I started baking in junior high, and I just simply did it for fun. I have baked various kinds from simple things like cookies and cupcakes to cakes, and each time, my interest in baking grew as well. I think baking is one of the hobbies that actually keep me occupied for a long time, and I think this is the main reason I even bake occasionally even now. Shopping is actually my favorite thing to do, but it was not so long after my arrival that I found out Saipan was not the right place to go shopping. Since then, I shopped online most of the times.  Ice skating is also my favorite hobby, but it is really something that is impossible to do here in Saipan.

Ever since I was little, I always did something musical. When I was young, I learned how to play piano, which I nearly forgot how to play, and in junior high, I learned how to play the ukulele. I don’t play these instruments anymore, but there is one instrument that I still play. Clarinet. I started playing clarinet when I was in 4th grade, and it has been like my musical companion until now. I have been part of Saipan Community School Concert Band until I graduated from junior high, and now I am currently a member of Saipan Southern High School Manta Ray Concert Band under the direction of Mr. William Dewitt.  For the past years, I have competed in London Music Festival and Tumon Bay Music Festival in Guam. I gained many experiences throughout my musical life, and I wish to continue on with it as I proceed to the end of my high school. Music has been my motivation, and it will continue to be my motivation.
I was never athletic in my whole life time. I was one of the slowest runners in elementary schools, and I don’t think I improved much. I can run for a long distance, but whenever it came to short distance runs, I was always part of the bottom half.  I also lack flexibility. I could reach down and touch my toes, but that is as far as I can go. No leg splits or any other hard yoga poses.
I don’t really have a favorite subject, but if I had to choose one, I would choose Social Studies. History is really fascinating, although it can be really tedious sometimes, and it’s like a long autobiography of humanity. There’s so much to learn from the past. By reading and understanding about history, you can learn how not to repeat the same mistakes made in the past. Also, you can be inspired by the historians, philosophers, mathematicians, politicians, pioneers, traders, settlers, and many others from the history. Because it’s basically a story about the past, I really think that it is also valuable.

My dream is to travel all around the world. I love learning about new cultures and experiencing how it is like to live in different countries. I also love traveling, because it involves eating and shopping, my two favorite things to do. I haven’t decided what exactly I want to be when I grow up, but I have a rough outline of it. I hope to make my vision clearer as I continue the rest of my high school career, and I hope my contribution to my high school career leads to my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment