Wednesday 2 October 2013

If I Were Stranded on an Island?

If I were to be stranded on the island, I would take a tool that can filter water, machete, and a pack full of lighters. There are many more things that I would like to take, but since I am limited to three, I would take the three that I think are most important for surviving in an island.
               All human beings need water and food to survive. We can only survive up to seven days without food and up to three days without water. Island is a good source of water, but it is inedible. Island is surrounded by ocean, but I cannot drink salt water. I read an article somewhere that there were three people stranded in the middle of the ocean. Because they were directly under the light, they soon became thirsty. They all knew that they were not supposed to drink ocean water, but the thirstiness drove them crazy. Two people chose to drink water. The third person did not. After drinking ocean water, their condition instantly improved. They regained their energy and looked perfectly fine. The third person was almost persuaded to drink ocean water with them, because nothing significant had happened to them. However, in the end, the third person was the only one who survived. After two days of drinking, one person turned insane. The person started to crave more water and jumped into the water and drowned to death. The second person started to hallucinate. Driven insane, the person jumped into the water full of sharks and was soon consumed by hungry ferocious sharks. Common sense had saved the last person’s life. Also, we do not know if the island has a river or a stream that will provide fresh water. This is where I would use the tool that can filter water. I will just take a scoop of salt water and put it in the tool to get fresh water. With this tool, I would never have to worry about water supply.
               Machete would help me obtain food. Machete is different from small Swiss knives. Although the Swiss knives come in variety, they are too small to be used to cut hard things like plants with high fiber. With machete, I would be able to cut bushes that are in my way and gather wood for fire. Also, I would be able to get coconut leaves to make baskets and a bivouac. I can also use it when there are any wild animals like wild boar trying to attack me. When there are small animals around, I can also use it to hunt them for food.
               A pack of lighters will run out eventually, but it will provide me fire for a pretty long time. Without fire, people may not be able to survive very long.  I don’t know if the island is located near Antarctica or near the equator, so I think that it is necessary to bring the lighter. Also, when I catch animals with my machete, I cannot eat it raw. With the lighter, I would be able to eat it cooked.  It would be possible to eat it raw, but raw meats may contain bacteria, viruses, or other kinds of germs that may cause health problems. If I get infected with this, then I would not have any chance of surviving for a long time. If I have these three things, I think that I would be able to survive until I get rescued by someone else.




               

No comments:

Post a Comment