Monday 28 October 2013

My Children

               Children these days seem to be more spoiled than our generation or our parents’ generation. As the world advanced, the standard of living improved. Children in this generation enjoy the prosperity our parents’ generation has built and seem to do no hard work, or at least do the things that they can manage on their own. Parents these days do everything for their children. Even before the children ask them a favor, they will just do it for them. This spoils the children. When I was young, I was supposed to ask when I wanted something. My parents were strict, so they did not do everything for me even though I begged and pleaded with them. Now, I think this is totally different. When I went to Korea 3 years ago, I often went to nearby malls to go shopping. During the weekdays, the malls were little bit less crowded but still there were kids running around the mall. They were screaming and running around playing hide and go seek. When I went near the toy section, there kids lying on the floor crying for minutes begging their parents to buy them toys even when they had a lot in their homes already. There has never been a day where I could shop peacefully. Even in food court, there were kids complaining and whining that they did not want to eat. It was just a chaos.
When I have a child, I am going to first teach them basic manner. I think that behavior is what matters the most now, because there are so many kids who are disrespectful and disobedient. I’m going to teach them about filial piety and how they should respect elders. I’m also going to make them do things by themselves to grow independence. Of course I’m not going to force them to wash dishes when they are 1 but I’m going to make them learn how to do simple stuffs like organizing their shoes after coming back home. I think that childhood habits are really important. It is very hard and challenging to teach them how to have good manners, because they become rebellious and more forceful. I’m also going to teach them table manners.
I’m also going to teach them how to communicate with others. Some people do not know how to socialize because they are not used interacting with other people. So I’m going to take my child to my friend’s place often so she can be comfortable with socializing.
Studying wise I’m not going to force her to study like a dog, but I’m going to ask her to try her best. I was forced to study. I was sent to be tutored until late at night, and even when I wanted free time, I was forced by my parents and teachers to study. If I did not do well in school, my mom got mad at me. It seemed as if it was the most important thing to her. I do not want my kid to be under the same pressure I was in. I want to give my kid liberty as long as she did her work and my kid felt satisfied under the condition that he or she tried the best. I want my kid to be different from others. I want my kid to have his or her own opinion and be able to assert it. I want my kid to have confidence.




No comments:

Post a Comment