Sunday 6 October 2013

Should Computer Games Be Allowed?

               Computer game is said to have negative effects on the person. People say that it causes people to become more violent. Certain games do involve violence but it does mean that everyone who plays the game will just grab a gun and start shooting around their neighborhood. If the person has the right notion and common sense, the person would be insusceptible to the game.
               Computer games were first created by the companies for entertainment. Surely enough, it became popular throughout Korea. When others saw that games were good profit makers more people started producing new games. Variety of games attracted more people to play, and the game industry prospered.
Most teenagers have already played computer games before. Most of them first contact computer games through their friends and some through random internet search. Usually, teenagers will play about 3 to 5 hours on average, but in extreme cases, they will play up to 8 hours or even more a day. This is addiction. This is when computer games lose their true meaning, entertainment.
               The sole purpose of computer game was entertainment, but it is being changed because of people. Because of this, more people are going against computer games. As a person who enjoyed playing computer games, I cannot go against computer games. I began to play computer games when I was young. I started playing when I was a 1st grader, and computer game was one of the only things I could enjoy. Even at a young age, I was being tutored for three hours after school, and computer game was one of the only ways to relieve my stress. Other than computer games, I only had the television which showed my favorite shows only at a certain time. So for the rest of the time, I devoted myself to computer games. Through computer games, I was able to forget about all I had to deal with at least for few hours. My parents were always away, and I had no one in my house until late at night when I was already in bed sleeping. I played three hours a day and I felt joy from playing it. I depended on computer games for entertainment, and it really served as a good tool for entertainment. Why try to prohibit one from playing it if one can feel joy from it?

               Most online games require strategies. They have quests that we have to clear, and they help us level up. Sometimes, these quests do not just involve killing monsters but using our brain. Although most of the quests are solo quests, some are party quests. Here, you have to learn how to cooperate to complete the quest within a given time. Raising a character also involves using our brain. Just leveling up does not do any good. One must do the stats to raise certain characteristics of the character to strengthen it, and it needs to be distributed properly according to the character one wants to grow. Computer games also require financial management skills. Currencies are also used in almost all computer games, and one must learn to use it wisely so one can use enough money to invest on the character as well as to not become bankrupt.  Because computer games share so many aspects with our society, I think that it will actually help a person to prepare for their social life.


No comments:

Post a Comment