Sunday 20 October 2013

Should SIS Have Uniforms or Not?

Before, I used to wear uniforms to school. They were just nuisance. The school says that it promotes unity among the students, but this is a non-sense. It actually had nothing to do with the unity among the students. Those who wanted to unite continued to try and those who did not continued to not try regardless of their wearing of uniforms.
               Uniforms give no color to the school. It just represents the strictness of the school and does not give freedom to the students. I think that the students as a human should have the right to choose what to wear to school. This is a freedom of choice. Wearing the same dull uniforms every day to school limits the students from expressing their own style. I think that waking up every morning to look for clothes to wear to school is one of the things students should do daily. It’s kind of part of the daily routine. Without this choice, they would just have to wear the same clothes the day before. I also think that it is kind of sad to have three or even more clothes in one closet just to wear the same clothes day after day after day.
When I had to wear uniforms, I was not satisfied with it. I could not wear the clothes I bought and I did not like the design of the uniform. There can never be a design for the uniform that everyone in the school can agree on. There are going to be people who like the design, but there are going to be as many people who hate the design. I was one of the people who hated the design of the school’s uniform. Actually, there was hardly anyone in the school who like it. It was a blue and green plaid pattern overall and a white blouse with a blue striped collar. It was a knee length uniform and we had to wear socks that was up to our ankles. I asked if I could shorten the length because it was too long, but the principals said that he was never going to allow it. I hated the design, but it length was the one I hated the most. I was perhaps lucky, because I was one of the students who had the new design. Students who were enrolled in schools previously had the old style uniform which was just a white blouse with their school logo and a navy skirt longer than the new uniform. Promoting unity as the school promoted was nowhere to be found, and I realized that there was no use of uniforms. There was only one good thing that I could actually find about wearing uniforms. It reduced the amount of money that had to be spent on clothes. But as a shopaholic, I abhorred uniforms.

If SIS reinforces uniforms on students, there would be many people who would oppose it. SIS has no uniforms, so having uniforms would actually bring more disapprovals than other schools. Even when people work in companies, they are not forced to wear the same clothes unless they are a service related companies. I think that it is humans’ right to choose what to wear, and limiting this right is just a non-sense to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment