Sunday 22 September 2013

Define Success

               Success is achieving what one intended to. Everyone defines success in a different way, so success is different for everyone. Some people may define success as earning a position in the society or even becoming a millionaire. Also, it might be marrying a person they love. For me, I say that people succeeded when they achieved what they wanted to. Success simply should not be earning more than particular amount of money. This is a notion that the economy promotes by encouraging competition among others. I don’t think that money is everything. Money should not be a tool to define success. Although the society categorizes the level of success by people’s salary, it should not be the same for individuals. People should not value money as the society does and get rid of the notion that the society promotes.
               Perhaps, this is because success often has to do with money. Many people set their goals as getting promoted to higher jobs, getting 1st place in a lottery, or getting a job with good pay. All of these have to do with money, and it is apparent that they can know when they achieve their goal by looking at the amount of money they acquired. These goals were generated by society. Materialism that is rampant in American society caused people to set goals based on money. This is something I cannot influence since materialism is already too deeply rooted in the society. However, I can voice out my opinion that this should not continue. Money should not define success.
               Success can be something small. It can be something like making your parents happy every day or learning how to cook rice by yourself. There people, although little, who appreciate little things in their lives and set goals to maintain their joy from this. More people should learn that succeed can come from little things like this. Accomplishment felt by succeeding does not always have to do with money.
Success does not always have to do with being recognized in the society. Besides money, almost all people set their goals as getting A’s in class or winning a game so they can be recognized in the society. They want to be recognized for fame. This also relates to money. Famous people receive more money, and perhaps this is the reason people want to be recognized.
For me, I will finally be able to say that I succeeded when I achieve three goals in my life. One is to travel all around the world. Other one is to try all the desserts out in the world. My last one is to leave legacy in the society before I die. The legacy I mean is not talking about leaving my name in the society as a billionaire but as a contributor to a society who helped develop the society to the right direction. I am not sure if I will be able to succeed, but I am certain that I will try hard until I achieve these goals.

My definition of success may be the same as others. However, everyone will define them somewhat differently. No one thinks the same in the world. It’s a human nature to be different from one another. Everyone is unique, and that’s what it makes it so hard to succeed. One person may think that he or she succeeded, but others might say that he or she is not even close to succeeding. One thing that I can say is to stick with your own definition of success.


No comments:

Post a Comment